Average Twitter User Only Retweets 1 In Every 318 Links
So you are wondering why you your tweets aren’t being retweeted?
You are not feeling very influential?
Well, the latest research from Hewlett Packard Labs shows that (after analyzing 2.5 million users and 22 million tweets over 300 hours) only one in every 318 URL’s is retweeted.
So you need a lot of followers who feel inclined enough to pass on your tweet to get some retweet action happening
The trick is not just getting their attention but getting them off the couch and hitting the retweet button.
In essence the ability to influence on Twitter is the power to
- Gain attention (popularity through following)
- Then make people take action (overcome passivity)
This influence is determined by many factors, such as
- Novelty and resonance of their messages with those of their followers
- Quality and frequency of the content they generate.
This scientific study by Hewlett Packard Labs has shown that just having a large quantity doesn’t make you influential. The most accurate measure according to the study was an algorithm they developed called the IP Algorithm (or Influence – Passivity Score) which they claim provides the most accurate measure of relative influence.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O7Y5HVu0ek&feature=player_embedded
So below I have listed the assumptions that the team at HP used in their calculations for the IP (Influence-Passivity) Score
Measuring the influence score assumptions
- A user’s influence score depends on the number of people they influence as well as their passivity.
- A user’s influence score depends on how dedicated the people she influences are. Dedication is measured by the amount of attention a user pays to a given one as compared to everyone else.
Measuring the Passivity Score assumes
- A user’s passivity score depends on the influence of those who they are exposed to but not influenced by.
- A user’s passivity score depends on how much they rejects other user’s influence compared to everyone else
The study also assumed that the influence of a user can be both the quantity and quality of the audience that you influence.
So what top 10 tweeps did the HP team discover to be the most influential according to the Hewlett Packard IP (Influence-Passive) Algorithm
- Mashable – Social Media Blogger with 2,093,894 followers and on 56,687 lists
- Jokoanwar – Film Director with 83,839 followers and on 1,067 lists
- Google – Google News with 2,495,743 followers and on 46,155 lists
- Aplusk – Actor with 5,901,482 followers and on 59,775 lists
- Syfy – Science Fiction Channel with 48,867 followers and on 4,145 lists
- Smashingmag – Online Developer Magazine with 267,379 followers and on 21,854 lists
- Michellemalkin – Conservative Commentator with 112,602 followers and on 5,774 lists
- Theonion – News Satire Organisation with 2,410,864 followers and on 37,523 lists
- Rww – Tech/Social Media Blogger with 1,047,141 followers and on 11,463 lists
- Breakingnews – News Aggregator with 1,896,899 followers and on 32,178 lists
Image by Debh2u