35 Mind Numbing YouTube Facts, Figures and Statistics – Infographic
It is not until you leap into a plane and fly half way around the world to distant places that you start to realize the size and scope of the planet we inhabit.
Recently the earth’s population passed the 7 billion mark and over 2 billion of those are connected to the internet and more than 5 billion have a mobile phone.
When you start connecting that many people with global social networks such as Facebook (with over 900 million users), then opportunities and access to markets that were local become global.
Markets for business that were measured in thousands and millions suddenly scale to billions.
It is not only the size that expands but the velocity of the market accelerates as information is transferred and shared at light speed on optic fibre and wireless networks.
Social Media is Unlocking Opportunities
I recently finished reading an insightful book by Susan Cain. The book titled “QUIET: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking“, highlighted for me the power of the social web to provide everyone with a voice.
The connected and global knowledge economy is providing the quiet introvert with media platforms that provide a soapbox to shout at the world.
The creative spirits that were locked in urban and rural islands are now free to be heard, read and viewed in milliseconds on fixed and mobile devices.
YouTube since its inception in 2005 is one of many social media channels that allow anyone with passion and purpose to display and spread their ideas and express themselves.
There are hundreds of YouTube partners earning 6 figure incomes from their presence on a free video channel.
To provide some perspective on what the social and multimedia web has unleashed here are the latest YouTube facts, figures and statistics.
- 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute, or one hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second.
- Over 4 billion videos are viewed a day
- Over 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube
- More video is uploaded to YouTube in one month than the 3 major US networks created in 60 years
- 70% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- YouTube is localized in 39 countries and across 54 languages
- In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views
- In 2011 there were almost 140 views for every person on Earth
YouTube Partner Program
- Created in 2007, the YouTube partner program now has 30,000+ partners from 27 countries around the world
- YouTube pays out millions of dollars a year to partners
- Hundreds of partners are making six figures a year
- Partner revenue has more than doubled for four years in a row
Making Money from YouTube
- YouTube is monetizing over 3 billion video views per week globally
- 98 of AdAge’s Top 100 advertisers have run campaigns on YouTube and the Google Display Network
- Hundreds of advertisers are using TrueView in-stream and 60% of our in-stream ads are now skippable
YouTube Product Metrics
- YouTube has more HD content than any other online video site
- There are thousands of full-length movies on YouTube
- 10% of YouTube’s videos are available in HD
- YouTube mobile gets over 600 million views a day
- Traffic from mobile devices tripled in 2011
- The YouTube player is embedded across tens of millions of websites
YouTube created the technology to detect uploaded videos that infringe copyright in 2007. Content ID technology creates a ID File for copyrighted audio and video material, and stores it in a database. When a video is uploaded, it is checked against the database, and flags the video as a copyright violation if a match is found. When this occurs, the content owner has the choice of blocking the video to make it unviewable, tracking the viewing statistics of the video, or adding advertisements to the video
- Content ID scans over 100 years of video every day
- More than 3,000 partners use Content ID, including every major US network broadcaster, movie studio and record label
- There are more than eight million reference files (over 500,000 hours of material) in YouTube’s Content ID database. That number has doubled in the last year
- Over a third of YouTube’s total monetized views come from Content ID
- More than 120 million videos have been claimed by Content ID
The rise of Facebook, Twitter and other social networks has accelerated the growth of YouTube as it enables discovery and sharing of online video.
- 500 years of YouTube video are watched every day on Facebook
- Over 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter each minute
- 100 million people take a social action on YouTube (likes, shares, comments, etc) every week
- An auto-shared tweet results in 6 new youtube.com sessions on average
- There are 500 tweets per minute containing a YouTube link
- Millions of subscriptions to YouTube happen each day. (Subscriptions allow you to connect with someone you’re interested in — whether it’s a friend, or the NBA — and keep up on their activity on the site)
- More than 50% of videos on YouTube have been rated or include comments from the community
- Millions of videos are favorited every day
Infographic by TechWelkin.com
What about you?
How do you use YouTube and video in your marketing?
Has social media opened up global opportunities for you? What is the most exciting and inspiring business or personal event or connection that has been instigated by social media?
Look forward to hearing your stories.
Want to start building your own website or blog?
Want to start a WordPress blog in 5 minutes? The jeffbullas.com blog is hosted by Bluehost Web Hosting. For only $3.95 a month, Bluehost can help you set up and host your website/blog quickly and easily. Because JeffBullas.com is a Bluehost affiliate partner, my readers can visit this page to receive a 50% discount off the monthly price and a free domain name.
Diggin' this content? Sign up for updates... it's FREE!