30 Things You Should Not Share On Social Media
I don’t know whether you have started to notice that a lot of people are wanting help with their cows and ducks on Facebook (and I am finding it a touch annoying as I am not fond of cows),this activity is due to a very popular online game called Farmville.
What prompted me to write this list germinated when the few Farmville updates turned into a stream and then became a raging torrent. On Facebook you can actually turn this stream off in the settings section which is a good thing as I have stopped counting sheep when trying to go to sleep and started counting bovines… by the way Mashable have a post that shows you how to block those fascinating Farmville updates.
For those of you who are statistically minded… the Facebook-platform game FarmVille has
So what have the settings for controlling Farmville streams have to do with not sharing certain things on Facebook. Well there are settings on Facebook that allow your updates to be made very public or private and Facebook’s latest privacy changes in the last few months have actually made more information and photos public in its bid to open up the previously very private walled garden of Facebook (unless you go back to your settings and reset the privacy controls) in its bid to compete with Twitters real time open stream of information in this increasingly competitive social media world as more marketers start implementing social media marketing campaigns like Ford, General Motors and Tourism Queensland (Best Job In The World).
So to protect your reputation, personal brand, your bank account and your privacy you need to be very careful what you write and post on social media channels.
30 Things You Should Not Share on Social Media
- What chicken you are plucking or cow you’re milking on Farmville on Facebook
- How many you have killed on Mafia wars or where they are buried.. again on Facebook
- Party photos showing you inebriated or a hand placed where it shouldn’t be
- That you are having a party.. you might get more guests than you counted on
- Photos revealing you flirting with the bosses wife at the annual work Christmas party
- That you are having an affair
- That you are thinking of having an affair
- Complaints about your boss
- That you hate your job and want to leave.. you might get your wish.. involuntarily
- Don’t share photos or an event that reveals that you were not sick that day at work
- That are you are planning to take a sickie
- Drama with your friends
- Issues with your parents
- Passwords.. unless you have more money than brains
- Hints about passwords like dogs names
- Images and videos of your children
- Updates on Facebook after you have escaped from Jail and on the run (don’t laugh it has happened)
- Revealing your thoughts about a court case… when on jury duty
- Don’t link personal sites to professional business sites like LinkedIn.. don’t mix business with pleasure
- Financial information such as how much money you do or don’t have in your bank account
- Personal Information
- How to get more friends or followers.. it already sounds like a scam
- You are leaving on a holiday
- The dates you are away on your holiday
- Your daily schedule.. burglars have been known to use these little hints to their advantage
- Showing you doing something stupid .. not good for personal branding
- Your bodily functions
- Revealing extreme views on Race, Religion or politics
- What you had for breakfast
- Finally, If you are not comfortable about it … don’t share it
Do you have more things you think that should not be shared on Social Media networks?
My New Book is on the “Best Sellers List” on Amazon!
Diggin' this content? Sign up for updates... it's FREE!