50 Ways To Optimize Your Blog
I wrote an article earlier this year on “30 Tips To Make Your Companies Blog Rock” and I had quite a few comments by readers and some added more tips on other keys to making a blog successful.
So I have taken their suggestions, added them to the list and provided some more that I have discovered recently.
Blogging is a journey and as technology develops there will be more ways to optimize your blog. You will also find other keys to keep the blog pumping and energised as you mix with other bloggers both online and offline and hear their stories and hints. So here are the original 30 plus 20 more ideas to increase your blogs readership and traffic.
1. Industry News – whats happening this week, this month
2. Industry Trends – where is the industry going, what are the emerging hot segments
3. Customers Pain Points – Write posts that provide solutions for your customers problems
4. Customers successes – Write up a case study about a clients successful project, they will often let you publish their name
5. What not to do – highlighting where something hasn’t worked (the names shall remain anonymous of course)
6. Create a video blog post by interviewing a successful client – this can a powerful providing authentic evidence of authority and credibility for both you and the client
8. Brainstorm blog post topics with colleagues and management and create a list for future reference and planning
9. Subscribe to the top industry blogs in your market, both company blogs and personal blogs for ideas
10. Look through your latest news releases for ideas
11. Sign up other staff to write on topics in your industry or market that they are passionate about
12. Develop a series of how to blog posts
13. Turn the “how to” blog posts into short videos
14. When you have a great idea, go straight to your “add new” button and write the headline and save it as a draft or write it down before you forget it.
15. Include a great iconic image at the start of the blog that catches the eye
16. Case Studies are always popular to write about and not just your own
17. Place Powerpoint presentations on your blog by posting and then embedding links from Slideshare
18. Run polls and surveys on your blog
19. Create great headlines that catch people attention and makes them want to read the rest of the article
20. Add credbility banners such as how many subscribers, number of hits, blog grade and any awards
21. Provide “share this” buttons to Facebook and Twitter as a minimum
22. Implement “subscribe” buttons via RSS and Email
23. Write in bite size chunks and use bullet points so readers can quickly and easy consumption
24. Break up large blocks of text with iconic and interesting images
25. Take screen shots to place in your post using Software like Snagit to highlight points .. a picture is worth a 1000 words
26. Be yourself even if it is a company blog.. be authentic.
27. Optimize your blog for SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
28. Promote and distribute your posts on to other social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
29. Make the blog easy to find on your company’s web page with a large bannner or button
30. Finally, have fun, mix up the types of posts and add some humour occasionally
Gini Dietrich from Spinsucks.com contributed to the list with the following eleven additional tips
31. Ask your readers what they want you to write about
32. Let your readers pimp their own blogs in your comments section (we’re going to do this on Thursday of this week)
33. Ask questions
34. Create contests (which goes along with your poll/survey idea)
35. Install the SEO All In One pack on your WordPress blog
36. Use StumbleUpon and AllTop to increase your readership
37. Create content for Associated Content by republishing your blog posts there (it helps with readership and news outlets will republish your content on their sites)
38.Comment on other blogs and news articles to show your thinking/expertise, but also link people back to your blog
39. Make sure, when you use Twitter to promote your blog post, that you’re tweeting about it more than once a day
40. Subscribe to SmartBrief newsletters, RSS feeds, and Google alerts in order to find ideas for new content (that’s how I found this blog!)
41. Post and link your content on the Delicious social bookmarking site. (This will again help spread your content by placing it on a highly trafficked site)
Courtney Wiley of iNgage Networks also made this suggestion
42. Try your hat at a guest blogger or two, this could add credibility to your site , especially if the person is influential in his or her space.
Dave Heinrich from WebTechUniverse.com also contributed with this tip which is vital and I do this with every image in my posts
43.In the meta tags for your photos, make sure the labels/words are what you want them to be – search engines can’t “read” photos, only the labels/meta tags.
Also here are another seven that I have discovered since writing the original thirty.
44. When people write a comment actually take the time to email them directly and thank them for the comment and if they ask a question, then answer it. You will find that this will create a WOW factor and spread the word about the blog. If you took 10-15 minutes a day to respond to 5 comments via email you would make great impact on over 1,500 people during a year who would each spread the word to potentially 1000’s more. This could be the making of a tribe!
45. Comment appropriately on the top blogs ranked by Google on the major key word or phrase you are trying to optimize for SEO. This will create a a link back to your site and linking is key to increasing your own rankings with search engines
46. Write a blog post listing some important bloggers in your industry (such as the top 5) and point out how they make their blogs successful and you might find they return the love!
47 Interlink to other posts in your blog when writing a post especially those that are relevant and have been successful (this again is great for SEO)
48. Outsource content development for sections of your blog that are appropriate such as ‘resource’ sections.
49. Update an original post that provides more value to your readers (this post is an example)
50. Take readers comments and include and promote them in your blog (like we have just done)
What makes your blog kick butt ? Look forward to hearing your suggestions and maybe we can get to 100 great ideas over the coming months.