10 Interesting Social Media Statistics
Social media continues its inexorable march into the mainstream web world and figures released by Nielsen Wire in June provide very interesting reading.
- Social Media Networks and Blogs consume nearly 25% of peoples time online (one in every four and half minutes online)
- The world spends 110 billion minutes on social media networks and blog sites
- The number of people who are visiting social media sites has increased by 24% over the last year
- The average visitor spends 66% more time on these sites than they did a year ago (6 hours in April 2010 versus 3 hours 31 minutes last year)
- Brazil is the top nation when it comes to internet consumers with 86% visiting a social media network (74% of USA internet users visit a social media network)
- Australian users average the most time on social networking sites a month at 7 hours and 19 minutes (USA internet users average 6 and a half hours)
- Facebook’s reach is the widest in Italy capturing two-thirds of the active unique audience in April (Which is higher than the English speaking countries USA, Australia and the UK at 60%)
- Japan has the lowest reach of Facebook active users at 3%
- Ameba the microblogging platform which is the Japanese equivalent of Twitter is visited by 38% of Japanese people online
- Facebook is the worlds most visited social media brand with 54% of the worlds internet population visiting the brand
Diggin' this content? Sign up for updates... it's FREE!