It’s no secret that Midjourney is one of the most popular platforms for creating AI art. By using the power of artificial intelligence, the platform makes it easy to create unique and innovative works of art that are both beautiful and compelling…or so the platform claims.
But just how easy is it to use? And is it any better than the myriad of free AI art generators out there? Let’s find out together.
In this article, we will show you how to create Midjourney AI art and give an unbiased overview of the platform.
What is Midjourney AI art?
Midjourney AI art is like any other generative AI platform…just a bit more complicated.
Midjourney users can create unique artworks by providing text based prompts. The quality of the result you get entirely depends on the quality of the prompt you provide.
Here’s an example of an impressive piece of Midjourney AI art to see what we mean:
How to generate AI art using Midjourney
I’ve reviewed quite a few AI image generators over the past few months, and I have to admit, Midjourney is by far the most convoluted platform of the lot.
Here’s a step by step guide to getting started on Midjourney:
- Join the Midjourney Discord: If you’ve never used Discord before (and I hadn’t), the first thing you’ll need to do is create an account. Once you have a Discord account, you can join the Midjourney server.
- Select a subscription plan: If you wanted to try before you buy, you’re out of luck with Midjourney! Because the platform has become so popular, they removed their free tier, meaning you’ll have to fork out some money from day one. The cheapest plan is $10 per month. Head over to Midjourney.com to set up your account there and make your payment.
- Generate images on Discord: To make the process just a little more complicated, you can only generate your images through the Discord server. Use the /imagine prompt followed by the text description of the image you want to create.
- Assess your results: You’ll be given 4 different variations of your prompt to choose from. If you want further variations of one of the outputs, click V1, V2, V3, or V4 (which correspond to each image. If you want to upscale one of the images click U1, U2, U3, U4. As far as I can tell, you can’t ask to edit the specifics of any of the results, which is pretty annoying. I could be wrong though, maybe I just haven’t studied hard enough!
- Save and share your art: After you’ve finished creating your art, head back over to the Midjourney platform to view and save your images. Told you it was a complicated process!
More examples of Midjourney AI art
Don’t get me wrong, Midjourney can come up with some pretty cool artworks if given a good prompt. And once you get the hang of the process, it’s relatively easy to generate new images.
Here are some more examples of the style of art you can make with Midjourney:
This piece was inspired by the prompt: “McDonald’s underwater”
I’m not sure what the prompt was for this one, but I thought it looked pretty cool too.
Is Midjourney worth the price?
I have mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, if you’re a total tech geek and already active on sites like Discord, I can see why you would like using Midjourney to create AI art.
That being said, if you’re like me and value simplicity and an intuitive user interface, I think there are plenty of other AI art generators out there that produce just as good results as Midjourney and are easier to edit and customise your images.
Most other AI generators give you some free credits too, so that you can try out the platform first before committing to a paid plan.
Midjourney is a powerful platform that enables creators to generate AI art. While the platform does take some getting used to, once you know what you’re doing it’s easy to create beautiful images based on your text prompts.
With its range of tools and resources, Midjourney is a great choice for techy people looking to incorporate AI into their creative process.
FAQs on using Midjourney to create AI art
1. How do I get started with Midjourney?
Midjourney operates through Discord, so you need to have a Discord account to access it. After signing up for Discord, you should join the Midjourney server. This is often done by clicking a “Join the Beta” link on the Midjourney website, which redirects to an invite for their Discord server.
How do I generate art with Midjourney?
To generate art, you type a command in Discord, such as “/imagine” followed by a description of the image you want to produce. The art creation process involves using text prompts to guide the AI in generating images. You can start with simple prompts and gradually experiment with more complex ones.
Can I include my own images in Midjourney prompts?
If you wish to include your own images in a prompt, first upload the image to Discord. Then, use the “/imagine” command as usual, which will combine your image with the AI’s generative capabilities.
Is AI-generated art legal?
In terms of legality, AI-generated art currently falls into a grey area as it is not created by human intellect, making copyright claims complex.
Can I use or modify someone else’s Midjourney art?
Midjourney fosters a community-driven environment. Images shared in public settings on their platform can be used and modified by others. This communal aspect encourages collaboration and creativity.
How can I improve my AI art with Midjourney?
The process of creating AI art with Midjourney is iterative. You can refine your artwork by analyzing the results, adjusting your prompts or settings, and even trying different AI models. Sharing and seeking feedback from the Midjourney community or online forums can provide valuable insights for improvement.
How do I export and share my Midjourney artwork?
Once you’re satisfied with your AI-generated art, you can export it from Midjourney in various formats like JPEG or PNG. You can then share your creations on social media, online galleries, or your personal website.
Do I need any artistic skills to use Midjourney?
What is the key to success in using Midjourney?
The Ultimate Guide to Website Traffic for Business
Explore additional AI topics below:
- What is AI (Artificial Intelligence)?
- AI tools
- AI chatbot (Conversational AI)
- AI detector (AI checker, AI content detector)
- AI app
- AI filter
- AI image upscaler
- AI generator (Generative AI)
- AI art generator
- AI image generator (AI picture generator)
- AI photo generator
- AI image generator from text
- AI drawing generator
- AI portrait generator
- AI face generator
- AI painting generator (AI painter)
- AI voice generator
- AI text generator (AI writer, AI writing generator, AI writing)
- AI story generator
- AI logo generator
- AI music generator
- AI video generator
- AI news
- Example of AI
- AI art (AI generated art)
- AI generated images (AI images)
- AI voice
- AI Movie
- AI generated music
- AI companies