45 Social Media Trends and Predictions
As I was writing this article about Social Media trends I remembered a quote that I had come across a while back from Bill Gates of Microsoft…
“We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don’t let yourself be lulled into inaction.”
So when you read the list keep the trends in mind and prepare for a very interesting web world by 2019.
Some rather influential Social Media commentators such as Brian Solis’s rather insightful article on his Blog PR 2.0 says that ”social networks will become our Individual online Operating System“ with Twitter and Facebook and Apple amonst others are vying to be your “One” operating system for social networks. The Trend Spotting blog provided the inspiration, along with David Armano’s prediction in a recent post that “Social media will begin to look less social” and kicks off the the first 4 on the list.
- Corporations will look to leverage their social media efforts
- Social business becomes serious play such as Foursquare are touted for the focus on making networked activity local and mobile and has a game like aspect.
- Mobile becomes a social media lifeline with people accessing social media via mobile phone during breaks due companies banning social media access at work
- Sharing information no longer means e-mail
- The Social Media movement will desire to have quality, not quantity, as people cocoon in the face of the economic crisis.
- Obama-maniacs both for and against will spawn a new age of activism.
- Exclusivity trumps accessibility in Social Media
- Everyone becomes a marketer
- Facebook’s SocialRank algorithms emerge to drive the open social web
- Tools will develop to reduce noise and deal with RSS overload
- Friend synchronisation tools will develop
- Friend list sanitisers will keep your list clean
- Social Media tools will help you organise people based on location and business
- Organisations will continue to grapple with the social human web
- Social Media Indigestion will increase
- Social Media will become more personalised
- There will be consolidation and shuttering of Social media businesses
- Social Media Identity will become aggregated and segmented
- The social media gold rush won’t be as lucrative as everyone thought
- B2B goes social media
- There will be Social Media Multi-Channel Integration
- The transparency debate will continue
- Google will buy Twitter
- Blogger outreach from PR will get better
- Companies increasingly crafting content for Social Media SEO
- Sputtering economy will entice companies into the social media space
- Blogging isn’t dead
- Social Media mobile marketing takes off
- Social search will become increasingly important
- Live as it happens content search will become increasingly important
- Better metrics for social media measurement will continue to develop
- Twitter will continue to develop legitimacy
- Online social media video will come into its own
- Customer satisfaction driven by social media communities uprising will make companies see the light
- Social media will create Ad Agency disintermediation
- With the rise of social shopping the ease with which people are able to see feedback .. with confirmed identities will change the eCommerce online shopping game
- Social Networks Will Flourish As A Result Of The Economic Crisis
- Social networking will grow to provide social support to victims of the crisis
- Ranking The Influencers (the engagers) as a measurable tool for new media
- Twitter Will Get Recognized For Its Social Search Assets
- Twitter will start to emerge as a relevant and updated information source
- Twitter evolves as the ultimate human search
- Influence will be defined by measurable variables
- Google will “pagerank” and “map” peoples influence
- People will really become the media.
So what other Social Media trends will emerge over the next 12 months?
Diggin' this content? Sign up for updates... it's FREE!