Twitter Reveals It’s Latest Growth Numbers
Twitter is rather coy about it’s actual registered subscriber counts and very rarely releases the stats on its tweets, users and its growth. The last figures were released in October last year but today on the anniversary of its 5th birthday they have released the latest numbers and they make interesting reading.
The Numbers On Tweets
- 3 years, 2 months and 1 day. The time it took from the first Tweet to the billionth Tweet.
- 1 week. The time it now takes for users to send a billion Tweets.
- 50 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, one year ago.
- 140 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, in the last month.
- 177 million. Tweets sent on March 11, 2011.
- 456. Tweets per second (TPS) when Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 (a record at that time).
- 6,939. Current TPS record, set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New Year’s Day.
The Numbers On Accounts
- 572,000. Number of new accounts created on March 12, 2011.
- 460,000. Average number of new accounts per day over the last month.
- 182%. Increase in number of mobile users over the past year.
The Numbers on Employees
- Jan 2008 – 8 employees,
- Jan 2009 – 29 employees
- Jan 2010 – 130 employees
- Jan 2011 – 350 employees
- Today – 400 employees
What is interesting is that there is no mention of the “headline” number of total users, so I am going to have to make an estimate of the total number of Twitter subscribers, which I don’t think will be too far off the mark. So how many registered users do they have?… well we can only extrapolate. Last year in October they had 165 million users and they were growing at an average of 10 million per month. (See my post on the numbers then). At an average now of 460,000 new users per day (applying 31 days per month) that is 14.4 million per month as of today’s growth rate. So take an average of last years growth per month (10 million) and the latest numbers (14.4 million) and we end up with 12.2 million average growth per month for the last 5 months, this comes to approximately 60 million new users added since last years news release. So adding 165 million last year to 60 million added in the last 5 months gives us a number! So what are the current number of registered users at Twitter?… my calculations put it at 225 million. So Twitter is healthy I would say!! Image by matteopenzo