For hundreds of years expressing yourself and displaying your passion and talents was confined to writing, drawing or painting on a piece of paper and then begging a publisher or someone of influence to tell the world or publish your work or display it.
It took time, money and often access to powerful social and business networks. Being rich or royal was often a prerequisite to being noticed. It also took a lot of time with death often happening before fame kicked in. Many musicians and artists didn’t achieve fame until centuries later.
Artists and creatives often needed access to kings and queens and their benevolent attention to break through the barrier of anonymity.
The Ultimate Guide to Social Media Marketing for Business
Gatekeepers to Fame and Influence
Television, radio and modern mass media made it easier to be discovered and break through the influence glass ceiling. In reality it still required money and other people’s networks and the new kings and queens were now the journalists, editors and media moguls. They were the new gatekeepers to fame and influence.
Blogs, social media and social networks have turned this traditional and glacial model of influence, attention and self expression on its head. It is mobile, multimedia rich and its free. The power is now in your hands.
The challenge now is not having access to the media because social media has provided the tools and means to take control. They are now Your” media and you have control. You just need the passion and the motivation to make it happen.
The “real” challenge now is breaking through the conversations and clutter of billions of personal publishers in an increasingly online world.
Why Use Social Media?
So why you should you blog, create valuable content and build networks on social media? Is social media just about being superficial or is it much deeper than that? Social media has touched something in human consciousness that goes beyond just online conversations. It has provided a global connectedness that is culture and nation changing. It has given us as individuals control over our lives and how we express ourselves.
That is what is exciting.
The power of media now resides in your hands and everyone can express themselves to the world and carve out and create their own corner of influence.
The democratization of media that is social media, allows everyone to express themselves globally in full color and rich multimedia. No longer do you need to beg a book publisher for access. You can now self-publish and place your book in the Amazon or Apple book store.
Here are a few reasons why you should tap into the power of social media that may resonate with you. This may motivate you to take control of your life and business with the new world of online publishing and marketing via blogs and social media networks.
- Turn your passion into a business
- Take control of your life
- Take control of your publishing
- Take control of your marketing
- Become a thought leader
- Be paid to speak
- Become influential
- Make a difference
- Leave a legacy
- Build trust
- Earn respect
- Build an online asset that will show up in Google search results for years
- Build a business online
- Create independence
- Meet cool and influential people both virtual and face to face
- Grow your own network of influence
- Open up business opportunities
- Accelerate the rate of growth both personal and business
- Become well known or even famous
- Be wanted and even demanded
- Be valued
- Develop self respect
- Turn your life form ordinary to extraordinary
- Become an author
- Change people’s lives
- Change your own life
- Be able to leap out out of bed instead of crawl
- Learn more about passion instead of just showing up
- Gain energy
- Learn more about yourself through self expression
- Leave your day job behind
- Fire your boss
- Make your mum proud
- Make your friends jealous
- Put a smile on your face
- Put a spring in your step
- Discover skills you didn’t know you had
- Sing in the car or shower
- Find purpose in your life
- Overcome the fear of public speaking
- No longer have to worry about the fear of rejection
- Connect to global markets
What About You?
How has social media changed your life or business? Has it been transformational?
Do you think that the social web is the biggest change to self expression, influence and publishing since the printing press 500 years ago?
What have I left out?
Look forward to your feedback in the comments below.
Want to Learn How to Market Your Business and Personal Brand on Social Networks?
My book – Blogging the Smart Way “How to Create and Market a Killer Blog with Social Media” – will show you how.