The Latest 27 Social Media Facts, Figures and Statistics for 2012 – Infographic
What I like to see is that the big boys are not having it all their own way.
Google thought Facebook was just a fad that would go away. For a while there Twitter looked like it would be a super nova that exploded with growth and then fade into oblivion. But neither of these events have occurred and social media has moved from fad to mainstream.
The women are the major participants on Pinterest. This is validated when you look at the Pinterest demographics and also notice that the top five pinners with millions of followers are female. When I participate on Pinterest it seems as if I am male voyeur listening in on visual conversations dominated by women. It is a bit like dropping into a women’s fashion store or lingerie shop. You know that it is OK to be there but it doesn’t feel quite right.
Two Significant Trends in Social Media
There are two trends that have emerged in the last two years that have changed the social media landscape and fabric.
- Visualisation of content: This is obvious when you see the rapid rise of Pinterest and Instagram and the evolution of larger images on Facebook and its user interface. Google+ had realised this when it launched last year with its feature and function sets applying a highly visual format.
- Mobile use and sharing: Instagram is the leader of this trend and is one of the reasons that Facebook made a $1 billion purchase of a non profitable company (Instagram) with only 16 employees.
These trends have also impacted web design and online shopping with Ebay changing its design and layout to a Pinterest styled home page “feed”
Social Media Statistics
There are some surprising statistics that indicate the growth and impact the social web has created in just a few short years.
- 350 million plus users suffer from “Facebook addiction syndrome”
- If Twitter was a country it would be the 12th largest in the world
- LinkedIn signs up 2 new members every second
- The average visitor spends 15 minutes a day on YouTube
- Three million new blogs come online every month
- 97% of the fans on Pinterest’s Facebook page are women
- 5 million images are uploaded to Instagram every day
- The Google +1 button is used 5 billion times every day
Want to find out more?, Check out this Infographic.
What About You?
Where do you think social media is heading? What is your favorite statistic or fact?
Is Facebook annoying you with its Edgerank limitation of updates on Timelines.
Look forward to reading your thoughts in the comments below.
Want to Learn How to Create Contagious Content and Market it on Social Media?
My book – Blogging the Smart Way “How to Create and Market a Killer Blog with Social Media” – will show you how.