It’s no secret that AI text generators like ChatGPT have become the talk of the town lately. People are jumping on board the AI writing train, and in response companies are hustling to develop AI detector tools.
These tools claim they can figure out whether a piece of text was penned by a human or churned out by an AI algorithm. But hey, before we jump to conclusions, let’s ask ourselves: How accurate are these detectors, really?
It turns out that OpenAI recently removed their AI text classifier because it wasn’t quite hitting the mark when it came to accuracy. So, I couldn’t help but wonder: Could other AI detectors be missing the mark too? To find out, I decided to put them to the test myself.
To put these AI tools through their paces, I decided to use an old piece of writing that I wrote myself, and then had ChatGPT whip up another piece entirely from scratch. It was time to pit them against each other and see what these detectors are made of.
So, keep reading to find out whether these tools can really tell the difference between human-written and AI-generated text.
- What is an AI detector?
- At a glance: AI content detectors price comparison
- 9 AI detector tools put to the test
- How to choose the best AI detector for your needs
- Benefits of using an AI detector
- Challenges and limitations of AI detectors
- Ethical considerations and potential biases
- Frequently asked questions
- Are AI detectors accurate?
- Should I use an AI detector?
- Which is the best AI detector?
- What can AI detectors be used for?
- How do AI detectors work?
- What types of AI-generated content can detectors identify?
- How can I evaluate the accuracy of an AI detector?
- Can AI detectors be fooled?
- Are there open-source AI detectors available?
- What industries benefit from AI detectors?
- Do AI detectors violate privacy?
- Can AI detectors be customized for specific needs?
- Do AI detectors require a lot of computational resources?
- What are the limitations of AI detectors?
- Are AI detectors a replacement for human review?
- Wrapping it up
What is an AI detector?
Before we jump into the tools, what is an AI detector anyway?
An AI detector is a software or system that utilizes machine learning algorithms. Its primary purpose is to automatically detect and classify content that has been generated by artificial intelligence.
These specialized detectors are recent developments that have been made to address the increasing prevalence of AI-generators, which can range from essays to images, videos, or even music. By leveraging machine learning techniques, the AI detector analyzes various attributes, patterns, and markers specific to AI-generated content.
At a glance: AI content detectors price comparison
|Originality AI||Base plan starts from $14.95/month which includes 2000 credits|
|Writer AI||FREE (but limited to just 1500 characters)|
|Winston AI||Free up to 2000 words, then pricing starts from $12/month for 80,000 words|
|Copyleaks||Starts from $10.99 a month for 100 pages|
|Content at Scale||Pricing starts from $49/month for unlimited scans|
|GPTZero||FREE (but limited to 5000 characters)|
|Sapling||Base plan starts from $25/month however there is also a free plan available|
|Scribbr||FREE (but limited to 500 words)|
9 AI detector tools put to the test
Here are the AI detectors I’ve tested so far in 2023.
First up on our list is originality.ai. This AI detector is probably the most popular tool at the moment, and certainly I’ve seen ads everywhere for it. Looking on their website, that claim that they have 99% AI content detection accuracy.
In order to test Originality.ai, I have to sign up for an account and hand over my credit card details. I’m then given 50 credits to use for free. It’s worth noting that this detector can only scan content written in English at this stage.
I start by copy and pasting a 500 word article I wrote a few years ago. Originality.ai gives me a score of 96% human generated, and 4% AI generated. Not awful, but not entirely accurate either as the article was 100% human generated.
Next I try a ChatGPT article of around the same length. Originality.ai correctly identifies that the writing was 100% AI written. So all in all, this tool is pretty accurate in my opinion!
- Comprehensive NLP Model Support: The AI content detector and plagiarism checker tool accommodate a wide range of NLP models, ensuring compatibility and effectiveness across various frameworks.
- Team Collaboration: The tool allows multiple team members to collaborate, enabling seamless sharing of insights and efficient content analysis.
- Future Enhancement: The development team is actively working on introducing a full site scan feature, enhancing the tool’s capabilities to scan entire websites for AI-generated content and potential plagiarism.
- APIs and Integrations: The tool provides APIs and integration options, facilitating easy incorporation into existing workflows and systems.
- Cost-Effectiveness: This tool offers an affordable solution without compromising on its robust features and functionalities. It provides excellent value for the investment, catering to diverse budget requirements.
Moving on to the Writer AI Content Detector. Immediately, I like how this platform allows you to just copy and paste your text right away. No mucking around with sign-up forms or handing over credit card details!
This time, I test the AI content first. As I copy and paste my text in, I realise that 500 words is way over the character limit. That’s a bugger. I have to chop the text right down to 2 paragraphs or approximately 150 words. Not efficient if there’s a lot of text you want to check. Nevertheless, let’s see how the detector does. I hit analyse and…100% human generated! Wowsers. So not accurate at all.
Let’s see how it does with my human generated content. Again, I’m awarded a score of 100%, which is correct. However seeing as I also got 100% for AI content, I probably wouldn’t be inclined to trust this particular tool.
- Specialized AI Detector: Writer provides a dedicated AI detector that enables users to identify and flag AI-generated content, ensuring the authenticity and originality of their writing.
- Reporting Tools for Writing Insights: The platform offers reporting tools that provide valuable insights into writing patterns, trends, and metrics. These insights help users analyze their writing style and make informed decisions to enhance their content.
- Styleguide Implementation: Writer includes a styleguide feature that allows users to implement and enforce editorial rules and guidelines. This ensures consistency and adherence to specific writing standards across various content pieces.
- Content Strategy Automation: Writer facilitates content strategy automation by streamlining and optimizing various aspects of the content creation process. This includes content planning, ideation, optimization, and distribution, empowering users to create impactful content more efficiently.
- CoWrite Tool: The CoWrite tool within Writer enables users to train the AI specifically for content generation based on their unique requirements. This personalized training helps align the AI-generated content with the desired tone, style, and voice, providing tailored assistance in content creation.
3. Winston AI
Another popular AI detector is Winston. Once again, I have to create a free account in order to use the tool, though I appreciate that I don’t need to hand over any credit card details at this stage. I’m given a number of credits to use, more than enough for the purpose of this article.
Winston also automatically gives you a free 7 day trial, after which you’ll need to upgrade in order to keep using the tool, even if you still have free credits left. Plans start from $12/month which will allow you to scan 80,000 words each month for both AI and plagiarism checking.
This time I start with my human generated content. I like that I can test the full 500 word article this time. The score they give me is 75% human generated, while 25% is likely AI. Interesting. Looking at the results, they’ve highlighted the sections they believe to be likely generated by AI, I don’t agree with the assessment, but there you go.
Next, onto the AI generated content. Winston accurately detects that the text was written by AI, giving me a measly score of 1% human generated. Overall, I don’t think Winston is as accurate as it claims to be, and Originality seems a more capable tool at this stage.
- ChatGPT Compatibility: The tool seamlessly works with ChatGPT, including the latest GPT-4 model, enabling accurate detection of AI-generated text from these advanced language models.
- Sentence Highlighting: Winston AI’s advanced capabilities include the ability to highlight sentences that are likely to have been generated by AI. This feature provides users with a clear visual representation of AI-generated content within their text.
- Handling Large Documents: Winston AI has the capacity to efficiently scan and analyze extensive documents, including books. It can process and assess content in various formats, allowing users to upload complete files in .word, .pdf, and even scanned documents.
- Plagiarism Detection: In addition to AI detection, Winston AI offers plagiarism detection capabilities, helping users identify potential instances of copied content and providing sources for proper attribution.
- Free Readability Score: Winston AI goes beyond AI detection and plagiarism checks by providing users with a free readability score. This feature assesses the readability and comprehension level of the text, offering valuable insights for content improvement.
Alrighty, let’s check out Copyleaks’ AI content detector next. Again, I don’t need to sign up which I appreciate. I can simply copy and paste my text straight into the tool.
I start with my human generated content. This time I’m not given a score. Instead, Copyleaks simply tells me that my text is human generated text. While this is accurate, I kinda liked seeing what my score was and which sentences the detector thought might be AI generated. Oh well, never mind.
Let’s see how the AI generated text does. This time, I see the bulk of my article highlighted in red. The detector has accurately detected that my text was machine generated. Though interestingly it thinks my first paragraph is at least 40% human.
- AI-Powered Features: Copyleaks harnesses the power of AI to deliver its functionality, ensuring accurate and efficient detection capabilities.
- Comprehensive NLP Model Coverage: The tool covers all major NLP models, including the advanced GPT3.5 model. This broad coverage enables users to detect AI-generated content effectively.
- APIs for Scalable AI Content Detection: Copyleaks provides APIs that facilitate large-scale AI content detection, allowing seamless integration into existing systems and workflows.
- Chrome Extension Support: The tool offers a convenient Chrome extension, making it easily accessible for users while browsing the web. This extension enhances the user experience and enables on-the-go content detection.
- Robust Plagiarism Checker: Copyleaks features a powerful plagiarism checker that thoroughly scans content to identify instances of copied or unoriginal text, ensuring content integrity.
- Source Code Checking: In addition to text-based content, Copyleaks includes source code checking functionality, enabling users to detect similarities or plagiarism in code snippets and programming files.
- LMS Integration: Copyleaks facilitates integration with Learning Management Systems (LMS), allowing educational institutions and e-learning platforms to seamlessly incorporate content detection capabilities into their systems.
The final tool I’m testing today is Content at Scale. This free AI detector claims to be 85% accurate (a little more modest than other AI detectors mentioned in this article).
This time I start with my AI article. The detector gives me a score of 31% human written. Not an awful assessment, but not entirely accurate either. Unfortunately none of the sentences are highlighted so I can’t tell which parts are assumed to be AI and which parts could be human.
Next I plug in my human generated article. I receive a perfect 100% score! The detector accurately confirms that the text was written by flesh and bones. Excellent.
Content at Scale Features
- On-Demand API Access: The API is readily available upon request, allowing users to integrate the software seamlessly into their existing systems and workflows.
- Extensive Language Support: The software provides support for multiple languages, enabling users to analyze text in various linguistic contexts.
- Free Software Usage: Users can utilize the software free of charge, making it accessible to a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- High Reliability and Accuracy: The software consistently delivers reliable and accurate results, ensuring users can depend on its output for their text analysis needs.
Next up on my list is GPTZero. This AI detector claims to be the ‘gold standard in AI detection’ and aims to bring transparency to humans navigating a world filled with AI-generated content. Let’s see how it goes with my human generated content.
When I paste in my human-written article GPT zero passes it with flying colors. 100% human generated – correct!
Next I plug in the AI generated article. I’m given a rating of 87% AI generated which is pretty decent. Interesting that it thinks it was a mix of human and AI though…it was definitely 100% the robot!
- API Access on Demand: You can easily access the API whenever you need it, facilitating effortless integration into your current systems and processes.
- Comprehensive Language Assistance: The software offers robust support for numerous languages, enabling users to analyze text across diverse linguistic scenarios.
- No-Cost Software Utilization: Users have the freedom to employ the software without incurring any charges, enhancing its accessibility to a broad spectrum of individuals and organizations.
- Consistent Precision and Dependability: The software consistently provides dependable and precise results, guaranteeing users can rely on its output for their text analysis requirements.
Alrighty moving on to the next AI detector, the aptly named ‘Content Detector’. This tool is completely free to use which is pretty cool. I couldn’t find any options to upgrade to a plan on their website.
To mix things up I pop in my AI article first. This tool spits back a score of 64% probability – not very accurate if you ask me!
Next up, I try out my human article. This time I’m given a reassuring ‘entirely human’ response, however, that’s not reflected in my score of 32% probability of AI – a little odd if you ask me.
Content Detector Features
- Utilizing AI-Powered Capabilities: Content Detector harnesses the capabilities of artificial intelligence to ensure accurate and efficient detection, enhancing its functionality.
- Inclusive NLP Model Support: The tool encompasses a wide array of major NLP models, including the advanced GPT3.5 model, enabling users to effectively identify AI-generated content.
- Enhanced Browsing with Chrome Extension: The tool conveniently provides a Chrome extension, granting users easy access while browsing the web. This extension improves user experience and facilitates on-the-fly content detection.
- Robust Plagiarism Detection: Content Detector incorporates a potent plagiarism checker that meticulously scans content to pinpoint instances of copied or unoriginal text, safeguarding content integrity.
The next cab off the rank is Sapling. This AI detector is free to use, however, they also have the option to upgrade to a pro plan for $25/month. This plan includes other features as well as the AI detector.
But for our intents and purposes, I just tried out the free version of the AI detector. When I paste in my human-written article I receive a score of 0.7% fake which is pretty darn good!
And unsurprisingly, when I paste in my AI article I’m given a perfect 100% AI-generated score!
And lucky last, the final AI detector I’m testing today is Scribbr. Now normally you might save the best for last, but in this case, it’s the opposite! This tool didn’t actually work at all! Thinking it might have been my browser, I tried running the tests on both Safari and Chrome to no avail.
So it’s a bit difficult to rate the tool seeing as I couldn’t use it, but maybe you’ll have better luck than me!
How to choose the best AI detector for your needs
Choosing the best AI detector for identifying AI-generated content can be a complex task since this technology is continuously advancing. Here are some key considerations to help you make an informed choice:
- Assess Accuracy: Look for detectors with a proven track record of accuracy. Check for published results, benchmarks, or independent evaluations of the tool’s performance in identifying AI-generated content.
- Regular Updates: Ensure that the chosen detector is regularly updated to keep pace with the latest advancements in AI content generation.
- Manage False Positives and False Negatives: Evaluate how well the detector handles false positives (flagging genuine content as AI-generated) and false negatives (missing AI-generated content). Balance these aspects based on your specific needs.
- Integration and Usability: Consider how easily the AI detector can be integrated into your existing workflow or system. User-friendliness can be a significant factor, especially for non-experts.
- Compliance and Privacy: Ensure that the detector complies with legal and ethical standards regarding data privacy and usage.
- Cost: Consider the cost of the AI detector and whether it aligns with your budget. Some solutions may offer free or open-source options, while others require a subscription or one-time purchase.
- User Feedback and Recommendations: Seek input from other professionals in your field who may have similar needs. User reviews, recommendations, and discussions in online forums can provide valuable insights.
- Test Before Implementation: Whenever possible, test the AI detector with a sample of your data to gauge its performance in your specific context before making a final decision.
Keep in mind that while AI detectors are valuable tools, they may have limitations. It’s often wise to employ a combination of detectors and human review to enhance content identification accuracy, especially in critical applications.
Staying informed about the latest developments in AI-generated content and detection techniques is essential for maintaining effective detection strategies over time.
Benefits of using an AI detector
AI detectors can provide higher accuracy and precision in detecting various patterns, anomalies, or specific objects compared to traditional methods.
Efficiency and speed
AI detectors can process large amounts of data quickly, enabling real-time or near-real-time detection and response, which is particularly beneficial in time-sensitive applications.
AI detectors can be scaled to handle increasing data volumes without significant performance loss, making them adaptable to changing needs and data sizes.
Automation and reduction of human effort
AI detectors automate the detection process, reducing the burden on human operators and allowing them to focus on more complex tasks.
AI detectors can be applied to various domains and industries, such as cybersecurity, healthcare, finance, transportation, and more, making them versatile tools for different applications.
Challenges and limitations of AI detectors
AI detectors heavily rely on the quality and quantity of training data. Insufficient or biased data can lead to inaccurate or biased detections.
Interpretability and explainability
AI detectors, especially those based on complex algorithms like deep learning, often lack transparency, making understanding the reasoning behind their decisions challenging. This can be a concern in sensitive domains where explanations are required.
AI detectors can be vulnerable to adversarial attacks, where malicious actors intentionally manipulate inputs to deceive the detector, leading to false negatives or false positives.
AI detectors may raise ethical concerns, such as invasion of privacy, discrimination, or unintended consequences. It is essential to design and deploy AI detectors with ethical principles carefully. Read more about the ethical considerations and potential biases here.
Continuous learning and adaptation
AI detectors may face challenges adapting to new or evolving patterns, requiring regular updates and continuous monitoring to maintain effectiveness.
Dependence on technical infrastructure
AI detectors require robust technical infrastructure, including computational resources and reliable data connectivity. Inadequate infrastructure can hinder their deployment and performance.
Ethical considerations and potential biases
Privacy and data security
AI detectors often handle sensitive data, raising concerns about privacy breaches or unauthorized access. Implementing proper security measures and data anonymization techniques is crucial.
Accountability and responsibility
As AI detectors make autonomous decisions, questions arise about accountability and responsibility. Clear guidelines and regulations must be established to address these concerns and appropriately allocate responsibility.
Balancing the roles of AI detectors and human operators is essential to avoid overreliance on automated systems and to ensure human oversight and intervention when necessary.
Transparency and explainability
Enhancing the interpretability of AI detectors, providing explanations for their decisions, and enabling human understanding is crucial for building trust and accountability.
Frequently asked questions
Are AI detectors accurate?
AI detectors can be highly accurate, but it depends on various factors such as the quality of the data used for training, the algorithm used, and the specific task the detector is designed for. AI detectors are typically trained using large datasets that include both positive and negative examples of the target object or behavior. The model learns patterns and features from these examples to make predictions on new data.
However, it’s important to note that AI detectors are not infallible. They can still make mistakes or produce false positives/negatives, especially in complex and nuanced situations.
Should I use an AI detector?
Whether or not you should use an AI detector depends on your specific needs, context, and considerations.
Determine if the task you need assistance with aligns with the capabilities of the AI detector. AI detectors are usually used for text analysis. Assess whether the detector can effectively address your requirements.
Evaluate the accuracy and reliability of the AI detector for your specific use case. Research and test the performance of the detector on relevant datasets or scenarios. Consider factors that might affect its accuracy, such as variations in input data or potential biases.
Which is the best AI detector?
Originality.AI stands out as a top-notch AI content detector that offers exceptional ease of use and remarkable accuracy. This powerful tool is specifically designed to scan text for instances of plagiarism, AI-generated content, and various manifestations of unoriginality. Whether you are a student, teacher, or business professional seeking to safeguard the authenticity of your content, Originality.AI proves to be an excellent choice.
What can AI detectors be used for?
AI detectors can be used for various purposes, including fraud detection, content moderation, spam filtering, malware detection, and identifying AI-generated content.
How do AI detectors work?
AI detectors typically use machine learning algorithms to analyze input data and identify specific features or patterns associated with the content they are designed to detect.
What types of AI-generated content can detectors identify?
AI detectors can identify various types of AI-generated content, including deepfake videos, generative text, synthetic images, audio deepfakes, and more.
How can I evaluate the accuracy of an AI detector?
Accuracy can be assessed through benchmarks, independent evaluations, and comparisons with ground truth data. Look for published performance metrics and results.
Can AI detectors be fooled?
Yes, AI detectors can be fooled or bypassed by sophisticated adversaries who intentionally manipulate content to evade detection.
Are there open-source AI detectors available?
Yes, there are open-source AI detectors and libraries available that can be used to detect specific types of content, such as deepfakes or fake news.
What industries benefit from AI detectors?
AI detectors are used in various industries, including cybersecurity, media and entertainment, finance, e-commerce, healthcare, and more.
Do AI detectors violate privacy?
The use of AI detectors should comply with privacy regulations and ethical standards. Some detectors may raise privacy concerns, depending on how they are used and the data they analyze.
Can AI detectors be customized for specific needs?
Yes, many AI detectors can be customized and fine-tuned for specific use cases or content types to improve their accuracy.
Do AI detectors require a lot of computational resources?
The computational requirements of AI detectors can vary. Some may run on standard hardware, while others, especially those designed for real-time applications, may require more powerful systems.
What are the limitations of AI detectors?
AI detectors may have limitations in detecting content generated by highly advanced AI models or in differentiating subtle manipulations from genuine content. They may also produce false positives or false negatives.
Are AI detectors a replacement for human review?
AI detectors are often used in conjunction with human review to enhance accuracy. Human judgment is crucial in many cases, especially when context and nuance are important.
Wrapping it up
In conclusion, AI detectors are becoming increasingly popular as AI technology becomes more integrated into our daily lives.
With the help of machine learning algorithms, AI detectors can analyze data and identify patterns or behaviors that are indicative of AI, but they aren’t always accurate. It’s best to use your own judgment and discernment when checking content to see if it is AI generated.
The Ultimate Guide to Content Marketing for Business
Explore additional AI topics below:
- What is AI (Artificial Intelligence)?
- AI tools
- AI chatbot (Conversational AI)
- AI detector (AI checker, AI content detector)
- AI app
- AI filter
- AI image upscaler
- AI generator (Generative AI)
- AI art generator
- AI image generator (AI picture generator)
- AI photo generator
- AI image generator from text
- AI drawing generator
- AI portrait generator
- AI face generator
- AI painting generator (AI painter)
- AI voice generator
- AI text generator (AI writer, AI writing generator, AI writing)
- AI story generator
- AI logo generator
- AI music generator
- AI video generator
- AI news
- Example of AI
- AI art (AI generated art)
- AI generated images (AI images)
- AI voice
- AI Movie
- AI generated music
- AI companies