Facts about social media are often pieced together from sites that seem credible but sometimes they leave a lingering doubt. Is it smoke, mirrors or is it a fact? Stating it can be easy but verifying it can be almost impossible.
As they say… “there are damned lies and then there are statistics“.
When you are raising $1 billion in a public float, the numbers are under the microscope. The government is glancing over your shoulder and the investors are casting a withering eye and wanting a return. You are moving from private to public and that can be unforgiving. Just ask Facebook’s executives after they went public last year.
Twitter is floating part of its business to raise capital as it seeks to continue growing on a web that doesn’t like downward subscriber and revenue trajectories.
The Ultimate Guide to Social Media Marketing for Business
What has Twitter revealed?
Here are some of the numbers that were part of the 800 page filing for the Twitter IPO.
- In 2010 Twitter’s revenue was $28 million
- Last year (2012) Twitter achieved sales of $317 million
- The first half of this year saw revenue of $254 million
- If this rate of growth continues it will exceed $656 million for the full year
- 87 percent of revenue is from advertising
- Twitter currently has 218 million active monthly users
- 169 million of these users are from outside the USA
- Twitter has never made a profit
- It has lost an accumulated $419 million since launch
- Private investors have put a total of $759 million into the social networks coffers
- Twitter has $375 million cash in the bank
- Twitter has generated 64 cents per user in the last 3 months.(Meanwhile in the same period Facebook created $1.58 per user and LinkedIn a $1.53)
- Twitter is mobile centric and 65% of its advertising earnings are from ads on tablets and smartphones
- There are 2,000 employees
- Market value on floating is predicted to be as high as $20 billion
So they are the numbers for the float. What are some other interesting social media facts and statistics about Twitter?
The facts on tweets, hashtags and other numbing numbers
Twitter thrives on tweets and hashtags. What are some of the latest figures on the 140 character web tweeting? I have pulled some numbers out of the Infographic below for those who have to rush off to a meeting or are having a short sharp coffee while reading this post.
- 135,000 Twitter accounts are registered every day
- 58 million tweets a day
- There are 2.1 billion searches on Twitter every 24 hours
- Some of the top and interesting hashtags include the potential reach generated by these hashtags: #mancrushmonday (5.5 million), #TransformationTuesday(10.17 million) and #ThrowBackThursday (31.4 million)
- Justin Bieber has the largest following with over 44 million followers
- Katy Perry is second with more than 42 million
- Lady Gaga comes in third at 40 million plus
If you want to find out the other 38 facts you cn view them in the infographic below
Twitter statistics infographic
This infographic is courtesy of Masters in finance and researched by Merrill Cook.
What about you?
What surprises you about these numbers? Are you intrigued by the projected valuation for a company that hasn’t made a cent in profit yet?
Look forward to your feedback and insights in the comments below.
Want to learn how to create and market a successful blog with social media?
My book – “Blogging the Smart Way – How to Create and Market a Killer Blog with Social Media” – will show you how.
It is now available to download. I show you how to create and build a blog that rocks and grow tribes, fans and followers on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. It also includes dozens of tips to create contagious content that begs to be shared and tempts people to link to your website and blog.
I also reveal the tactics I used to grow my Twitter followers to over 194,000.