How Do Digital Marketers Engage On Twitter?
The reality is that if you are on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ you “are” a digital marketer whether you like it or not. You are publishing and promoting a brand. It might be brand “you” or it maybe be a business or organisation you represent.
If you publish you are a digital marketer.
Publishing is now marketing and the mind share that content marketing has garnered reveals the power of social content and crowd sourced sharing.
Marketing also involves two key activities.
Publishing and promotion
Social media provides the means, the technology and the platforms to do both.
Don’t underestimate Twitter’s brevity
Twitter’s role in the digital marketing pantheon was often seen as about breaking news. Used correctly it can accelerate your brand message and content to a global waiting audience that will pass it on. Don’t underestimate Twitter’s marketing horsepower because of its 140 character brevity.
It can be a focused marketing platform that drives brand awareness and content discovery. It is a low friction network that moves multi-media content in real time….fast.
So if you see yourself as a digital marketer then you may be asking some questions. This will provide you with some ideas on the sources you may need to be reading to keep up to date. It will also enable some insights into the sources, apps and people that you may need to follow or check out.
- Which social networks are they on?
- What apps and platforms do they use to share on Twitter?
- What mobile apps do they use for sharing ?
- What types of content do they share?
- What are the mainstream media sources?
- What industry sources are they sharing?
- What are the social media media sources are they reading, viewing and sharing?
- Who are the people most retweeted by digital marketers?
- Who are the people that are most mentioned?
- What are the brands most retweeted?
A recent report on Leadtail looked at 143,856 tweets and 69,657 shared links to provide a snapshot of how digital marketers engage on Twitter. It also provided answers to those 10 questions.
How do digital marketers engage on Twitter?
Here are some insights into Twitter engagement as performed by digital marketers. It reveals resources, tools and people that you may not have heard of that you may want to add to your reading, viewing and watch list.
1. What social networks are they on?
2. What apps and platforms do they use?
3. What mobile apps do they use to share on Twitter?
4. What types of content do they share?
5. What are the top 25 mainstream media content sources they share?
6. What are the most shared industry sources?
7. What are the social media content sources they share the most?
8. Who are the top 25 people most retweeted by digital marketers?
10. What brands are retweeted the most?
If you want to read the full report you can read it here.
What about you?
How do you engage on Twitter? Do you use it for breaking news and keeping across all the latest trends or do you use it to drive traffic to your website or blog?
Do you use Twitter to network and engage with friends, colleagues and influencers? What is your primary use?
Look forward to hearing about your ideas, stories and insights in the comments below.
Want to learn how I use Twitter to market my blog and content?
My book – “Blogging the Smart Way – How to Create and Market a Killer Blog with Social Media” – will show you how.
It is now available to download. I show you how to create and build a blog that rocks and grow tribes, fans and followers on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. It also includes dozens of tips to create contagious content that begs to be shared and tempts people to link to your website and blog.
I also reveal the tactics I used to grow my Twitter followers to over 180,000.