Twitter has kept its traffic and usage statistics close to its chest for quite a while now much to many peoples frustration.
The fact that it didn’t release many twitter facts, figures and statistics led quite a few commentators to debate that Twitter was in fact starting to stumble and its demise was near.
The figures released at at the “Chirp” conference have in fact revealed an astonishing level of continuing growth that will have many pundits putting away the obituary preparatory notes in the bottom draw.
I use a twitter tool (bit.ly) that enables me to measure what percentage of tweeters are clicking on twitter links from my blog from each country and what I have found happening is that subscribers from countries outside of the USA were starting to really get on board the Twitter train and and this has only happened in the last few months. In February (only 2 months ago) the USA was generating well over 50% of the the clicks, today in mid April the number from the United States has dropped to only 38%. This indicates that the rest of the world is starting to Tweet. So the official figures revealed in the last couple of days have indeed confirmed that this is indeed the case.
The other fact I find elevated beyond expectation is the total number of users at 105 million, 12 months ago that number was 8 million.. that is a growth rate of over 1300% . The other number that stands out is the 180 million unique visitors a month. So here are some numbers for those of you that have a facts and figures fetish.
- Twitter has 105,779,710 registered users
- 300,000 new users sign up per day
- Approximately 60% of them are coming from outside the U.S
- Twitter receives 180 million unique visitors per month
- 75% of Twitter traffic comes from third-party applications
- 60% of all tweets come from third-party apps
- Since the new Blackberry application was launched, it has accounted for 7 to 8% of new sign
- There are 600 million search queries on Twitter per day
- There are over 100,000 Twitter applications
- Twitter gets 3 billion requests a day through its API
- 37% of active Twitter users use their phone to tweet
The other statistic to watch is the use of Twitter on mobile which comes in at a headline rate of 37%, which is a trend that all marketers should keep in mind as they develop strategies for reaching out to to clients on the Web, don’t dismiss the mobile market .. it is getting serious.
So do these facts and figures surprise you?