The ability to influence is something that is valued by many. Sales people succeed or fail by their power to influence and marketers commit companies and brands to multi million dollar budget marketing campaigns hoping to influence buyers to turn up to store or a show and buy products and services.
Robert Cialdini previously the Professor of Psychology and Marketing at Arizona State University and the author of the best selling book “Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion” mentions six weapons of influence that he sees as being important in the art and science of influence.
In the interests of pursuing my highly scientific!! study on Twitter influence I decided in October last year that running a poll on what are the factors that people consider important to be influential on Twitter could be insightful and maybe useful and after 1,498 votes the results are shown below in a screen shot.
Four numbers stand out.
- 24% people see the quality and value of the links that they tweet as being the most important measure of influence…Content!! (359 votes)
- 17.5% consider that making other people “take action” on Twitter on twitter as highly valued (262 votes)
- 17.2% see influence as the number of followers retweeting their tweets (257 votes)… can be also seen as making other people take action! (total for two and three is nearly 35%)
- 15.2% value the quality of the followers as also important to be influential
In essence this poll shows that the the two keys to influence on Twitter is created by
- Having great quality content that the tweets link to…. such as your blog and other social media channels and websites
- The ability to make other people take action.
So being a power broker on Twitter also extends to many other aspects of our lives and influence comes in many mediums and forms.
- If you are a speaker it is the value of the content that you are presenting and then be able to motivate and move people to action
- If you are a writer and author it is the quality of the content that lies between the covers of your book that can influence action in people and make a difference in their lives
So are you publishing content that moves people to action?